Thursday, April 19, 2012

Burning the midnight motor oil

Dateline, Throckmorton, Texas.....
After hours upon hours of taking Mozi apart, I believed I had found the root of all evil in the clutch slipping.

You see, Jay has been following this blog and read about my clutched up mess and wrote an email to let me know of a similar problem he had on his old Guzzi. His experience and wealth of knowledge was a like a breath of fresh air. I took his advice and found I had the same set of ball bearings just floating around in the clutch push rod/plunger chamber.

I was so excited to deal with this and work through the night to finally get my two wheels back on course. Thanks to Jay for the shared info which kept me from buying a new clutch assembly and having to go through the hassle of replacing and realigning these parts on the flywheel.

Ok, picture this:
Midnight, West Texas time, and Mozi is back together enough that I can roll her around Tank's shop and test my clutch...

The clutch is adjusted so perfect, I could just pop-a-wheelie!

However, the clutch was not the sole demon at work.

After a few more minutes of "Checking Things", I found my rear drive box to be making a little grinding sounds. Inside of this box, "Behind where Carol is standing", is a pair of highly machined gears, Rack and Pinion Style. Well, let's just say, they are suppose to be. In this case, I have a nice Rack! But, my pinion is as slick as a presidential candidate. And it might prove to work just as well as one.

Tomorrow, I will hitch a ride to the next large town on the map for some serious WiFi Moto Guzzi Ebay, please overnight the things I need, activities.

Stay tuned for more adventures of a man in a round room, looking for a penny in the corner.

Mozi off.................
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

  1. Can tell you cant wait to get going again. I must say its been very interesting to follow you on this venture that means so much to you and others whose lives you have enlightened.When the time is right Im sure you will continue and be able to follow your dream. Sent you an email and hope we can stay in touch. What you are doing is pretty awesome and would love it is you would continue to keep me & others posted whether on the road or not. take care & good luck!

    ReplyDelete