Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday in Florida

Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen!

Mozi had a slight oil pressure problem yesterday, several times...

Once because it was low on oil, the rest of the times were a mystery to me.

The 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador 750 comes stock with what they call an Idiot Light. Meaning when the oil pressure is low, the light comes on. Mozi's light was flickering off and on a few times and after a little research, I discovered the generator bracket, which has been broken for about 18 months now, was moving in a leftward direction and making contact with the Oil Sending unit electrical terminal.

Ok, enough was enough. I stopped in St. Martin, Mississippi under the shade of a big Live Oak tree and a Mimosa which was in full bloom. It felt like home, the home I once knew and loved as a kid.

I pull the seat, gas tank, generator, generator bracket and found a welder a few miles away, via this wonderful gps map on my Crackberry cell phone. They came, grabbed my bracket, went back to their shop and welded it up perfectly!

The part was returned and I reinstalled everything to proceed to the next state or two.

Late yesterday, the oil light started coming on if my throttle was below about 1/3 of it's potential. I became concerned that I may be losing my oil pump. I sat on the side of the road for a while and then took off again...no problem.

What the heck?

Then it did it again.

Same thing...low throttle, low pressure.
I checked in a Pensacola, Florida hotel in hopes of some desperately needed sleep. Not a chance...Mozi needed help. After extensive research online, I was no more intelligent than I was last week.

I had to get my priorities in order:

Next door is a Sonny's Bar-B-Que. They got ribs and sweet tea. Both of these cause the brain to dislodge most of the stupidity and allow the smartness to shine through.

Thirty minutes later, in my hotel room with the fragrance of the dryrub on my fingertips, I grasped firmly onto my large plastic cup of sweet tea and asked myself, "Ken, put an oil pressure gauge on it."

Perfect!!!

I called a taxi and in just a few minutes, Grant showed up and wisked me away to Advanced Auto Parts, where I proceeded to purchase an oil pressure gauge, a handful of assorted adaptors, fitting, rubber hose and clamps.

I called Grant and he drove me back to the Red Roof Inn. Once in my room, I took a shower and crashed on the bed. I woke at 6AM and began packing for the final Eastward trek.

The parts I purchased would enjoy the ride across Florida in the comfort of a plastic shopping bag, since I didn't have the proper size wrench to remove the existing oil pressure sending unit.

Oh well. I checked the oil level and filled up with gas. Grabbed a couple of bottled waters and Gatorade just in case...

As of 1:39PM, the oil light will only come on prior to cranking her up and when I let her idle really low.

Life is good!

This message coming to you from Sonny's Bar-B-Que, Tallahassee, Florida.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment